Friday, July 23, 2010

Sometimes, I Don't Understand the 'Net: Jessi Slaughter vs. 4chan/b/


I just don't understand this story. There's this 11 year old girl in Florida - Jessi Slaughter - who makes "profanity laden" YouTube videos that are viewed by tens of thousands of people, have inspired countless video responses, and has even dragged her drunken father into the psychodrama.

Slaughter apparently crossed the wrong people, namely the message board denizens at 4chan who have the rep of being some sort of cyber-ninjas. Slaughter taunted them via video, leading them to do this.

momlogic: How did all of this Internet drama start?

Dianne Leonhardt: On Thursday evening, it all started. I got a phone call from a guy [representing] himself as a police officer and inquiring about an alleged missing person -- a kid -- who knew or was associated with my daughter. I asked for the missing kid's name and my daughter said she didn't even know who he was. Something didn't seem right; the call seemed weird. So I asked the "officer" what the police chief's name was, and he hung up. The phone rang again, and I told the guy that if he was a real police officer to send a unit to my door. My daughter became more upset because someone had posted a photo of her over the Internet using her head with someone else's body. My daughter was sitting by the computer, and that's the video where my husband was screaming for all of this to stop. We shut the computer down and we were very upset.

ml: When did the actual police get involved?

DL: We all went to bed that night, and then at 1:15 AM, my doorbell rang. Our dog started barking and we heard bam, bam, bam ... someone was banging on our door. It was the Marion County Sheriff's Department. An officer said an anonymous tip had come in that our daughter was hurting herself. He wouldn't tell us who called the tip in, but he made me wake my daughter up to make sure she was OK. The officer was really rude and my daughter kept denying that she made any videos. She kept saying, "I didn't do any of this!" He was here for about 15 minutes.

The next morning, my husband and I were sitting in our home when the doorbell rang again. Another sheriff's department officer was banging on the door. This time, they had another anonymous tip from someone in California claiming my daughter had female prostitutes coming in and out of our home from ads posted on Craigslist. Again, my daughter denied making any of these videos. In the meantime, my mother-in-law called from Michigan, saying she'd gotten a message on Facebook from a man who sent a photo of my daughter with some other guy. I have no idea how they even found her on Facebook! I put the officer on the phone with her and he took down the information. I then went onto my Facebook page and the same guy had sent me a message, too.

The girl is now, I kid you not, in protective custody. No, I don't know if she's being protected from cyberbullies, her parents (who are classically clueless and drunk), or her own bad self. Is this what people are doing when they're not following the Breitbart/Sherrod story? Anyway, Vox Day says this is absolutely hilarious, and he's in Mensa.


No comments:

Post a Comment