Saturday, March 6, 2010

Free Will Auto Guide


After the last year's worth of auto bailouts and bankruptcies, I was *really* looking forward to
getting the 2010 Consumer Reports Auto Issue to get a good look at our brave new era of car buying. There are indeed some major changes. Saab is gone (sniff). So are Pontiac and Saturn. Hummer is clearly on its way out. Eight Toyota models, including the Avalon and Camry, have asterisks instead of the usual "Recommended." The asterix means "recommendation withdrawn." Ouch. CR also reviews new fangled "green" offerings from Fisker and Tesla. In terms of recommendations, Ford has taken a great leap forward with most of their models tagged as reliable, while GM appears to be going backwards (Chrysler remains at the very bottom).

CR's reviews have changed in subtle ways, too. They are as blunt and unsentimental as ever, but I could swear they are being more exacting towards expensive luxury cars, and more forgiving towards smaller, cheaper "economy" cars. Scratch that, CR seems to be scrutinizing German and American luxury cars more closely; Lexuses, Infinitis and Accords are all given high marks. CR also continues its quixotic campaign against BMW's cupholders. Yes, on the one hand, other cars have limited trunk space, bad fit & finish, and road noise, on the other...BMW makes bad cupholders. I don't know, maybe their engineers are working other stuff like engines, etc.

Of course, the best part of CR is making your fantasy shopping list. Something to keep in mind when your humble blogger's birthday comes up in a few weeks:

1.) Acura ZDX - I like these sorts of SUV/coupes.

Go to fullsize image


2.) Audi A5 - I don't like convertibles, but I do like coupes.

Go to fullsize image

3.) BMW 650 coupe - if I get this car, I can visit exotic rock formations by the sea.

Go to fullsize image

4.) Chevy Malibu - I just realized I need to beef up my "regular guy" credentials

Go to fullsize image

5.) Ford Flex - I smile every time I see one of these.

Go to fullsize image

6.) Ford Mustang - when I drove down the Central Coast last summer, every other car seemed to be a Mustang; I declare it to be the official touring car of California.

Go to fullsize image

7.) Jaguar XK - to be honest, I prefer the previous generation. A woman in my neighborhood owns one, and I always nod respectfully when she pulls up next to the local cafe'.

Go to fullsize image

8.) Land Rover Range Rover Sport - hey, I need a certain level of comfort when I go "off road"

Go to fullsize image

9.) Lexus SC - a "retro" design that hearkens back to an era that never existed.

Go to fullsize image

10.) Lotus Evora - I can feel my "regular guy" cred slowly slipping away...

Go to fullsize image

11.) Mercedes CL - a gorgeous car.


Go to fullsize image

12.) Mercedes SL - Actually, I would want an SL that is at least 30 years old. No matter what the year is, the SL's from 30 years before always look better.

Go to fullsize image

13.) Subaru Outback - reclaiming my regular guy cred.

Go to fullsize image


No comments:

Post a Comment